Re: Davenport, IA Show, Aug. 22/23, PART 2

To: mtooze@tan.unl.edu (Marcus Tooze), mgs@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Davenport, IA Show, Aug. 22/23, PART 2
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 23:53:39
(continued from part 1)

AUTOCROSS GENERAL RULES:
  1.  Each competitor must have a valid driver's license and be registered
as an official entrant.  Passengers are not allowed.
  2.  Seat belts and DOT//SNELL 1985 or later approved helmets are
required.  Loaner helmets will be available.
  3.  Each car must pass a safety tech inspection.  All cars must be free
of loose items.  (Be sure the battery is fastened down securely, #1 reason
for tech failure).
  4.)  No entrant will be allowed to run in more than one class.  Class
will be determined by the entrant, using the classes listed below.  Class
must be determined at time of registration.  Class will be verified by the
tech inspector to final tech approval.
  5.  The course will be available for walking - no practice laps will be
allowed.
  6.  The course will be marked by pylons.  A two second penalty will be
assessed for each pylon displaced and a ten second penalty for each gate
missed.
  7.  Final class position will be determined by each entrant's single
fastest timed run.
  8.  Cars will run in heats.  Three runs are planned for each class.  A
fourth run might be possible depending on time available.
  9.  No alcoholic beverages may be consumed by drivers, non-drivers, or
workers anywhere on the premises.

Autocross Classes:
  Class A  0 - 1500 cc 4 cylinder
  Class B  1501 - 2000cc 4 cylinder
  Class D  All 6 & 8 cylinders
  Class E  Ladies
  Class F  Prepared and Modified cars

Area map included but not attached here.  See more autocross information
below.

For additional information, contact Corky Swanson Jr. 309-764-9513 (W) 0r
308-764-1423 (H)

Following are a few of my personal comments, NOT official from the hosting
organization.

And, at 06:31 PM 8/10/98 -0500, mtooze@tan.unl.edu (Marcus Tooze) wrote:
>Can I register on the day for the autox?

Generally yes, but maybe you'd better ask this time.  In years past I have
just showed up and registered and paid the fee at the autox site, then
raced and went home, and not even been registered with the car show.  Last
year there was no autox, because of lack of assistance in running the
event.  This year the Autofest registration looks a little different.

The Autofest is to be held 8/22 & 8/23.  Pre-registration is $10 up to
8/21, and $15 after 8/21.  I presume that means that you can register for
the Autofest at the door for $15 as usual.  The number of trophies and
classes for the car show has in the past been based on the number of
pre-registrations.

For the autox there is a special note in the registration form: "You must
be registered by 8/19/98 as we must have 15 entrants to hold the autocross
- You will be notified if the autocross is cancelled".  In years past the
autox attendance has been dwindling, and a couple of years ago it was down
to about 20 drivers, so there is a possibility that they may not get enough
entries pre-registered.  I do not know if this note is to imply that you
have to be registered for the Autofest to participate in the Autocross.

If this event is run the same as in years past, the autox event would be
hosted and operated by Great River Region of SCCA, and run under SCCA
sanction and insurance.  I believe the autox entry fee goes 100% to GRR for
their services and expenses, which is why it was no problem to register
just for the autox at the event site, exclusive of other activities of the
Autofest.  Any or all of this may not apply this time around.

>Time?

Registration is at 9:00 am on Saturday 8/22, timed runs scheduled for 10:00
am to 2:00 pm.

>Directions to where the autox will be held??

The autox site is at Rock Island Arsenal, on the island in the middle of
the Mississippi River.  Check an Illinois or Iowa road map, look at the
area map of the quad cities.  You will find the 3 mile long island in the
middle of the river running east to west on the state border.  There is an
access road at the east end of the island from Moline, IL,  at 15th street,
very close to the I-74 bridge.  There is another access at the west end of
the island with approaches from both sides of the river.  The bridge from
the Iowa side is fairly close to the Black Hawk Hotel in Davenport.  These
roads are about 3/4 mile east of the Centennial toll bridge connecting Rock
Island, IL and Davenport, IA.

When you get on the island, there is one main road running east to west.
Within about 1/2 mile of the west end access roads there are three traffic
lights close together.  The site is either at or just west of the western
most of these three traffic lights, and set back in about a block north of
the main road, mostly behind a building, so you have to be looking north at
that point to see it from the main road.  I hope they have a sign on the
main road to point us in the right direction.

Bring your dueling tools.

Cheers,
Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude