Hood/Bonnet, etc.....

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Hood/Bonnet, etc.....
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 16:15:52 -0700
If you are busy, do not read this message.....

I have been keeping a note of the different words use for the same item,
by each side of the Atlantic; some American words had me puzzled but the
sentence often led to the meaning....

American                  British

Fender                    Wing,
Hood                      Bonnet,
Sedan                     Saloon,
Tire                      Tyre, ( 'tire' means to become weary in UK,)
Color                     Colour,
Wrench                    Spanner,( 'wrench' means to pull hard in UK,)
Anti sway bar             Anti-roll bar,
Valve lash                Tappet clearance,
Freeway                   Motorway,
Gasoline                  Petrol,
Frozen                    Seized, ( 'frozen' is very cold in UK,)
Oil pan                   Sump,
Cop                       Police Constable,('cop' means to get
the                                             blame for something.)

and three that really made me smile...

Hi ( as a greeting,)      Usually means out of your head on drugs!!!
Eraser                    Rubber
Rubber                    Condom  ( NOT on this list, yet!!)

Neil.
( Yes, I am bored.)