Re: MGA: HRG MGA Head

To: mga@ffwd.bc.ca
Subject: Re: MGA: HRG MGA Head
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 15:09:44 EDT
In a message dated 14/08/98 1:29:27 PM EST,  cgrunau@pathcom.com writes:

<< Bill, I may have an interested party, races a 948 MG Midget. Please give me
 some details, complete with valves etc? which carb/carbs, manifold
 requirements and last, but not least, general condition and price.  >>

It has valves and springs, rockers (which are special short ones), and all but
one tubular pushrod (easy to have made by any of the cam companies).
Uses stock exhaust, you'd need to make a new intake manifold, probably for H4
SU, but on a Formula Junior or C, perhaps downdraft Weber.
No idea if the head has any defects, never had it magnafluxed, but most small
cracks (can't see any obvious ones) are easily weldable.
It comes with the custom valve cover, very different from stock and narrower,
with 'Alexander'  cast in the aluminum.
Make a really neat show or vintage race piece for the right car - had one guy
with a Turner BMC interested.

It is a small chamber head, but the A series guys might know which engines
would work with it, and whether you could install the bigger 1275 valves.

Price is $600 Canadian firm. If I have to get into magnafluxing, replacing the
one pushrod etc., I'd probably want more like the $750 US that the last one I
saw sold for, but frankly I just don't have the time right now, and if no one
wants it as is, I'll chuck it back in the garage, perhaps to surface in future
years.

I just picked it up because I had several HRG heads for the B series (use em
on my race cars from time to time), and it struck me as a nice thing to fit on
my Buckler, which I had intended to use an A series engine on (the alternative
being TD). As it seems I'll never get around to the Buckler (I still have one
Twincam to do first, just sold a TR3 and a while ago a Swallow Doretti that I
never used/finished) I thought it might be better off with someone with a more
immediate use for it.

Bill