Re: Installing new rear springs in a B.

To: "ccrobins" <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: Installing new rear springs in a B.
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <jason@markerman.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 12:41:03 -0400
I'd like to add a few of my experiences to this story. =20

I experienced a lot of confusion and headache when I recently replaced =
my front and rear springs on my 72 B.  After mounting new stock springs =
on the front and rear, the rear of the car was approx. 2.5" higher than =
the front.  I figured this would level out as the springs wore in.  Six  =
months later, the whole car had settled, but there was still about a 2" =
difference. =20

Upon consulting Moss about this, they informed me that they have been =
having reports of problems with spring heights for the rear being too =
high, and now even have a note on their computers regarding this =
problem.  They are now recommending that owners re-arch their salvagable =
rear springs rather than replace them.  Nice of them to tell me now!  =
Unfortunatly, my old spings were beyond hope.  The solution for this has =
been to mount the 1" lowered rear springs on the back, with stock =
springs on the front.  These springs acutally give a more stable, firmer =
ride, and the car is only about 1/2" higher in the rear now that they =
have settled in a bit.  I suspect the car will level almost completely =
by next spring.

Anyone else have an experience like this?