TD Questions from a Rookie

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TD Questions from a Rookie
From: "Wild Bill" <modela31a@empnet.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 01:35:20 -0700
Hi, all. I signed on this list awhile ago and then had to leave to tend to
other things.
I have a '51 TD that's been stored under blankets in the garage for over 20
years now.
I removed all the coverings last week and was pleased to discover that it's
still there!
A new battery and fresh gas and it's running again (not driving,...as the
brakes need looking into).
I have a few questions about what I should be expecting (temp and oil
pressure mostly) from this car as I have no experience at all with any
other TDs.
When I bought the car it had been sitting in a garage for almost 10 years.
It needed paint and upholstery mostly. A friend of mine was in business
working on antique cars and I had him pick it up from the seller and take
it to his shop in SC. Life took some bad turns for him and, eventually, I
showed up at his door to find the car completely disassembled and in boxes.
(He'd taken it down to the frame and stalled there.)
I pieced the car together using an Abingdon Spares parts catalog and some
photos from a Moss motors catalog.
I got it all together, built a small trailer, and pulled it out here to
Oregon where we bought land but had no power or water for a couple of
years. Sometime later I got a garage up and moved the TD inside.
The car looks fine but I never messed with the engine as my goal at the
time was to turn the 'parts' into a car and make it transportable. It still
has the plugs and points that have been in it for some thirty years now.
(Seems to run pretty good, tho'.)
I'd like to pick the brain of someone with experience with one of these.
 I would appreciate any private e-mail from a TD owner or tech.
Sorry for the long post.

Wild Bill
modela31a@empnet.com