Re: Heater motor, MGA and MGB, round 2

To: barneymg@ntsource.com
Subject: Re: Heater motor, MGA and MGB, round 2
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 00:00:00 EDT
On Thu, 20 Aug 1998 19:37:00 Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
writes:
>Well, the heater motor arrived from V.B. today.  First thing I noticed
>is
>that it has male spade connectors imbedded in opposite sides of the
>case,
>180 degrees apart, and the old motor had two wire leads with bullet
>connectors coming out through a rubber grommet.  Are these spade
>connectors
>normal for the MGB?  Surely not correct for the MGA.

Not normal for the B. Like the A, the B has twin pigtails with correct
bullet connectors

>  Now I would need
>go make pigtails with bullets on one end and (small) female spade
>connectors on the other end, so I don't have to cut the bullet ends
>off my
>correct MGA wiring harness.  That should look the bodge.

>Then I measure the new motor case to be just 2-1/2" long when the old
>one
>is 3-1/4" long.  It appears that the whole 3/4" difference in length
>is in
>the magnetic poles of the armature and the field coils, where those
>parts
>in the new motor are only about 1" long.  And the new motor weighs 2
>lb 10
>oz, where the old one weighs 3 lb 14 oz, about 2:3 weight ratio.
>Makes me
>leery about the performance, and possibly overheating or shorter life
>for
>the new motor.
>
>And to top it all off, the new motor has the small triangular flange
>around
>the waist of the motor case (the correct distance from the working
>end),
>but not the large circular standoff bracket to mate it to the heater
>box.
>So here I would have to drill out the rivets in the old motor flange
>and
>salvage the 40-year-old rubber grommets and metal washers and the
>large
>bracket, and transfer all these parts to the new motor with new
>_shoulder_
>rivets or machine screws and tube spacers to get it all together.
>Excepting if I spend even more time I may be able to find new rubber
>grommets somewhere.
>
>And of course the picture in the V.B. MGA parts catalog looks exactly
>like
>my original motor, right down to the long length of the motor case,
>the
>long wire connection leads, and the attached mounting flange.
>
>This all sounds a bit much for a $99 motor with nearly $14 S&H added
>on.
>Should I spend the two hours adapting it to mount or send it back?
>Anybody
>have a good used MGA heater motor they'd like to part with?

 IMHO you should send the little bugger back. It ain't what you
ordered,per their cataloge, and If you're gonna have to spend a couple
hours "adapting" it, you might as well use a swap meet supplied B motor,
and save a wad of money.

(you have just run up against reason #32 why I don't buy from VB)

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget