Re: Hot dimmer switch.

To: Kevin Richards <flybirds@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Hot dimmer switch.
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:52:14 +0000
Kevin Richards wrote:

> Interesting thing happened to me last night.
> Took the 77B out for a burst and my dash lights were dim, so I turned up
> the dial, only to find the dash lights would cut out intermittently. I
> reached behind the dash to feel the switch, (maybe a loose wire or
> something) found that the switch was red hot. (well, very hot). The
> questions arise:
> 1. can the switch (rheostat...I think??) be cleaned??
> If so, how?
>
> 2. Can you bypass the dimmer switch? I mean, for the cost of a new
> dimmer, I think I can live with my dash lights being un-dimmable.
> Again, If so, how??

Kevin - the dimmer is probably knackered.  With the rheostat set just a tad off
full brightness a lot of heat is dissipated in a small amount of resistance and
this damages the printed circuit, increasing the resistance and reducing the
brightness.

All the ones I have seen have had two spades on each termninal, so it is a
moments
work (once you can get your hand in) to take one of the wires off its spade and
put it on the spare spade of the other connector.

PaulH.