Exhaust problems

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Exhaust problems
From: "Robert Berning" <RBerning@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 06:52:08 -0700
Ever since I bought my 1972 MGB it had a slight backfire when shifting with
any slight load on the engine.  In the time I have had my MGB, I have
replace the manifold gaskets and exhaust(donut).  Yesterday while drive I
blew the manifold gaskets or exhaust(donut),  no exhaust at the muffler and
very loud.  I am in the process of finding which one went, but this brings
up a question of what is causing it.  Talking to a non-MGB mechanic friend,
he thought it was a restricted/blocked exhaust and the backfiring was from a
leak into exhaust (air hitting the unburned fuel).  With this does anyone
have a suggestion of better gaskets or gaskets prep.  The manifold gasket
shouldn't be a problem but the donuts seem really cheap, are there any
better one I could buy?  Is there a way of checking the exhaust besides
cutting it apart?

Thank you,