V8 engine capacity, MGB

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: V8 engine capacity, MGB
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 18:46:14 -0400
Bill-

It is generally accepted that 1974-1/2 on( rubber bumper cars) were the
ones with the enlarged engine bay. That is not to say that there could
not have been a chrome bumper 1974 with the larger bay, but not a 1973.
I have heard stories of 1974 GT's with chrome bumpers & the "V8" engine
bay, but have never seen one, & I have looked at numerous shows.

Besides the inner fender changes, a more important change was at the
firewall/bulkhead, in the tranny opening. Early cars opened up at a 90
degree angle, the V8 body opens at a much wider angle to provide space
for the rear of the cylinder heads, especially on the right hand side-
as determined from the seat looking forward.

The final change occurred in 1977, moving the radiator forward, &
increasing its size. 1977 & up are the easiest to convert because of
this, but moving the radiator, installing new brackets is not a big
deal.

One other change was made in '74, an increase in the crown of the hood(
bonnet) to allow additional air cleaner clearance. All of the
after-market hoods I have seen have the additional crown, & it is
noticable only if side by side with an early model.

There are some other fiddely differences between the factory V8 cars &
rubber bumper B's, but nothing of real significance unless you are
attempting a concourse copy.

E-mail me off list if you have questions too specific to be of general
interest.

Jim Stuart
2 V8's, no dollars or sense