Re: Block stampings, TA,TB,TC,TD,TF,YA,YB,WA,SA,VA,etc,

To: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Subject: Re: Block stampings, TA,TB,TC,TD,TF,YA,YB,WA,SA,VA,etc,
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 19:54:18 +0000
neil.cairns@virgin.net wrote:

> Paul Hunt wrote:
> >
> > neil.cairns@virgin.net wrote:
> > >
> > > ... Morris Engines built all MG, Wolseley and Morris units.
> >
> > Hence MoWoG (he he).
> >
> > PaulH.
>
> I always thought this stood for MOrris and WOlseley Garages,
>   MO WO G. But why does it appear on AUSTIN designed items??
>
> Neil

No-one really knows.  Clausager says the G stands for mG; issue 1 of the
BMIHT magazine says it stands for Garages.  Since reading that MG and
Wolseley joined Morris as a package I tend to think Clausager is right.
 Also, Morris chassis numbers begin with an M, and MG with a G.  Don't
know about Wolseley, W?  Austin and Morris shared parts before MG and
Wolseley joined.  It was Ray Gibbons contention that it was a factory
foremans joke, knowing that it would cause arguments for decades.

PaulH.