Re: So SU me! - update

To: Dan Pockrus <dpockrus@efficient.com>, "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: So SU me! - update
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 14:18:41
At 08:14 AM 8/27/98 -0500, Dan Pockrus wrote:
>       Checked the other SU last night - nothing was plugged or appeared
>unusual
in any way. Tried to start it up and got the same result - nothing. Roused
Loyal Son from my easy chair, sprayed starting fluid in the SU's and had
Loyal Son crank it. We got it to start - but it doesn't sound right and
dies anywhere below 2500 rpm.
>       Is this the type of behavior one might see if the timing chain takes a
>leap?

No.  It sounds like an extremely lean condition at low speed, like you may
have a large air leak at the intake manifold.  Check the tightness of the
manifold and carburetor bolts.  We're talking big leak here, like a hole
the size of your little finger, or a crack all the way across a gasketed
joint.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude