Stiff seat backs and broken handles

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Stiff seat backs and broken handles
From: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 08:50:50 -0400 (EDT)
It sounds as if broken seat back handles and stiff seat backs are a common
problem.  It does not appear you have to remove your seats and disassemble them
to  fix the problem.  If you tilt the seat forward with the seat back release
(door side) you expose the seat back tilt hinge points.  I sprayed some PB
Blaster on the hinge near the transmission tunnel and the mechanism loosed up.

With the seat forward and operating the tilt back handle, you can see the
mechanism release at the hinge point.  I'd try this before tearing the seats
out and apart.

I replaced the broken driver seat handle with the one from the passenger seat.
This winter I think I will try to fashion a handle out of steel and if it looks
ok get it chromed.  I hate to pay the going price for another pot metal handle.

My son's hand is healing nice.