Quieter exhaust for MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Quieter exhaust for MGB
From: davewaller@sprynet.com
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 19:07:57 -0700 (PDT)
I have a '74 MGB with an OEM type exhaust system with "MG" stamped on the
muffler casing. I believe  the silencers are glasspacks, and the system was
made by Hamro or Hambro (not sure of the spelling). Anyway I really like the
tone of the system, but it is a little too loud for my tastes. I have cut down
little on the general noise level by attaching heavy foam insulation to the
underside of the hood. It seems like the remaining excessive noise is coming
from the tailpipe. Since I like
the tone but just want to cut down on the volume a little,
I was thinking of maybe trying to install some kind of resonator between the
two
existing silencers, but I'm not
sure if there will be enough clearance between the resonator and the suspension
and ground. Another possibility is to replace the entire exhaust system with
a quieter one. Does anyone have experience with modifying
or replacing an OEM type MGB exhaust system to obtain a
quieter exhaust note?