Re: Air Injector Pump

To: "John Moonan" <jmoonan@ix.netcom.com>, "MG Car List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Air Injector Pump
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 08:02:08 -0400
On 8/30/98 1:47 AM so and so (John Moonan) said. (And I quote:)

>I was driving my 77 MGB yesterday and while accelerating away from a
>traffic light I heard a pop under the hood and then loud exhaust
>noises.  I figured I had blown an exhaust manifold gasket or something
>like that.  However, on inspection it turns out that the check valve
>that is between the air injector pump and the air injector manifold had
>blown itself apart.
>
>I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida and the car does have to go
>through an emissions test every year.  Since I have had the car, it has
>had no problems passing this test but I wonder what the effect of
>removing the air injector pump would have.
>
>So, before I go to the bother of ordering a new valve and installing it,
>I was wondering if anyone has experience with just removing the pump and
>plugging off the manifold?.  In particular does any one have experience
>with Florida or other state emissions inspections after removing the air
>injector pump?
>
>--
>
>THANX,  JFM

Depends on the state. Here in PA there is not (currently) an "under hood"
inspection, which would look for things like a missing air pump. The
Midget has not had one for about 12 years. I took it off when the cat got
plugged and I had to replace the whole exhaust system. Put a new header
on. Then last year I put a Weber DGV on and it still passed, in PA. This
year I got an"EXEMPT" because it has less than 5000 miles since last
inspection. That is all in Monty CO. of PA. I understand that there are
some counties around here that have no emissions inspection. So the point
being -depends on the state , AND county, laws.

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?