Exhaust Problems (Part two)

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Exhaust Problems (Part two)
From: "Robert Berning" <RBerning@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 11:46:39 -0700
I found out it was not the exhaust donuts!  After finally getting time to
work on my 1972 MGB.  I went through the task of taking the carburetors,
intake manifold, and the exhaust manifold (I wanted to check all gaskets).
I though it was just a little too easy to remove the exhaust manifold.  I
didn't even need to remove any bolts to the exhaust pipe.  The flanges have
broken/rusted away from the pipe.

So here is my question:
Would it be better to go with an exhaust header or the standard head pipe?
I would like more power,  would I notice it just by bolting a header on?  If
I go with the header could I use my same muffler?  I have been looking at
the ones in moss motor, which ones would you recommend.  I would like to be
sensible,  a new header pipe costs about $55  they have a Peco for $170 plus
$209 for the pipes and muffler .  Is it worth it?

Thank you,