Re: choke cable positioning

To: dcouncil@imt.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: choke cable positioning
From: MGMagnette@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 23:52:09 EDT
EARLY OLD choke cables PUSH open the choke valve.  Old choke cables have an
inner cable made of a single thick strand of wire.  Newer replacements have
wire in them no different than picture hanging wires... many small wire
threads braided.  They cannot be made to push the choke valve open, then can
only pull it open and hope that it closes by itself when the choke is
released.   I found this out when I got a new choke cable for my MG Magnette
Mk. III with the "modern" braided wire inside.   On the MG Mk. III the choke
inner wire literally has to push the very stiff choke valve shut.  The newer
wire simply bent and the choke stayed wide open.

  Just looking at "Original MGB" and it appears that the choke cable was
changed when a heat sheild was enlarged/added/modified, a bracket for the
choke cable sprouted.  I have seen many MGBs with the bracket missing and the
choke cable threaded through some of the superflous holes in the carbs.

   John