Re: Valve rocker to head assembly.

To: Hicks <hicks@mohawk.net>
Subject: Re: Valve rocker to head assembly.
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 23:23:11 -0500
Hicks wrote:

> I am reasembling the rocker assembly to the head and remember at least
> one gasket under one of the rocker posts between the bottom of the post
> and the head. . I can't seem to find it in my parts. Very thin gasket
> like material. I think it was on the post that has the oil passage way
> in it. Anyway, none of the manuals that I have comment on this gasket.

Well, this may not apply, but when skimming the head or the block to get a
little more compression, you effectively move the rocker shaft closer to the
cam. This messes up the desired pushrod geometry a little. If a significant
amount of material is removed (say 20 thousands -- about the thickness of a
matchbook) you're supposed to add metal shims of the same thickness between
the rocker tower and the head.

Do you know the history of your motor? Is compression higher than expected?

If you're not looking for four skinny shims, one under each rocker tower,
then Chris is right, two thick shims were specified as stock.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City