Re: Welding and spraying.

To: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Subject: Re: Welding and spraying.
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 02:34:21 -0400
David F. Darby wrote:
> IMHO most of the $300.00 and less mig welding rigs (especially the Sears)
> are not worth toting home. Some of them have a constantly hot electrode
> that hampers smooth usage by a clumsy oaf like myself.

  Indeed that is something awful, and should be checked for before
you consider a cheap welder.

  For the "new", a good welder is dead before you pull the trigger,
you can wave it around and touch it to the metal to prepare
for the weld. Pulling the trigger starts the wire feeding,
the gas coming, AND the current flowing.

  Without this feature, the tip is live all the time. This
means that you can't set up properly before lowering your
mask, since setting up might cause sparks, then you will
just see purple spots for the next few minutes.

  The wire feed mechanism is the meat of the welder. If
it isn't smooth, it'll make your welding experience
miserable. I've had no problem with the the wire feed
on my Lincoln 100.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, ICQ #17432933