79 MGB Roadster Alternator Problems

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 79 MGB Roadster Alternator Problems
From: DBAVERY1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 21:13:01 EDT
Hi All,

Well the good news is we completed another long trip this weekend and had
excellent top down weather.  Went from Lansing, MI area to Madison, WI and
back.  I did have a problem however and wondered if anyone can offer help.

We left Friday night the entire trip requirred headlights and the only other
thing going was the radio.  After 5 hours of the trip the ignition light came
on real faint.  I  turned off the radio and that was enough for the light to
go off.  It flickered a couple more times on the remaining 2 hours of driving.
When I stopped and turned off the ignition key the ignition light came on
bright - key off and out of the ignition.  I unhooked the battery cable so the
battery wouldn't drain.

The next day I hooked up the cable and the ignition light was on all the time.
Well it was alternator time.  Hard to find anyone with one on short notice but
I got a rebuilt from a Madison parts house and the car was back to charging
perfectly.

Well now goes the trip home - this time full daylight so NO headlights on and
we didn't listen to the radio the entire trip so no accessories used.  Again
about 5 + hours out and we stopped for a bite to eat.  When I started the car
the ignition light was lit dimly.  If I got the car up to 3500 RPM the light
would go off so it appeared it was NOT charging at speeds up to 3500 RPM.
Well I finished the trip at 3500 RPM and am safely home.

When I got home I felt the alternator and it was very warm but I've never
tried touching it after a trip so I don't know if it is hotter than normal or
not.  I felt all the wires from the alternator and they were fine - felt cool
so I figured it wasn't a big draw causing the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions what might be going on?  Did I just get a bad
alternator on the rebuild?  The starter just went out prior to the trip so
that was new at the start also.  Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Denny