Re: V8'S IN CALIFORNIA.

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>,
Subject: Re: V8'S IN CALIFORNIA.
From: cgmoog@ibm.net
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:51:17 -0400
Keith Wheeler wrote:

> it still is,
> (ridiculous and un-enforceable as usual) illegal under federal law.

Not necessarily illegal.  Until recently the law allowed changes with
two caveats: the change could be made and the vehicle tested according
to EPA guidelines (~$1000), or the change could be made if the changer
had a reasonable basis of knowledge that the change did not cause an
increase in emissions.  In the second case the EPA could ask for the
basis of the reasoning and if not satisfied could ask for certification
testing (~$1000).  This is were the state rules allowing swaps if all of
the existing emissions equipment was carried over and the engine
equipment is newer than the chassis.  This has recently changed because
of abuse of the second clause by companies that converter vehicles to
operate on LPG and natural gas.

I have not read the new rules since they were issued in the spring.  But
if I remember correctly EPA has defined the basis for a "reasonable
knowledge".  Also the hoops are not that tight because the alternative
fuel industry cried that it would be too expensive to test conversions
if they could only sell a 100 kits (funny exemptions were never made
explicitly made for hot rod parts).  My reading of these rules does not
preclude their use for engine swaps.  I will post the location of these
rules to the list once I remember to bring it home from work.