Re: Tools f/MGB work

To: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Subject: Re: Tools f/MGB work
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 15:52:41 -0400
Bud,

Pretty much a mixture.  I have a '67 MGB that was exported to Deutchland then
brought here (Blaupunkt radio and all) and  many nuts and bolts that are metric
are
sae on my '70.  My '70 on the other hand is mostly Standard.

I remember a story about a guy who in 1963 had to change a tire on his MGA and
in
the process knocked the lug nuts down a drain or into a ditch or whatnot.  He
hiked
to a local auto parts store asking for replacements.  The owner said "no, don't
carry exotic parts "  He tried to explain that they were SAE standard and were
probably in stock to no avail.  He then went back to his A and brought one of
the
nuts from the other wheels to show the parts man, who whereupon produced 4
shiny new
American made lug  nuts to match and fit.  As the MGA owner went to pay for the
4
lug nuts, the parts man announced the price to be $4 each.  The MGA owner
protested
again, while the parts man justified his price by saying they were for "one of
those
fancy British cars" and therefore more expensive.

Michael Ohleger
'67 MGB
'70 MGB