62 MGA front end rebuild

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 62 MGA front end rebuild
From: Kevin Richards <flybirds@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 17:20:34 -0700
Listers.....

Just embarked on the front end tear-down. I finished the passenger side,
now I have a few questions.

I was wondering, how do you know (after the rubber seals are in place)
how far to screw in the upper and lower links into the spindle before
you reattach them to the shock (upper) and the wishbone arm (lower). It
seems to me that this is a very important reassembly item.

I didn't want to disassemble both sides without knowing if I need to
measure the "assembled" side.

What kind of tell-tale wear should I be looking for in the upper and
lower trunnion bushes/steel tubes? they look to have just minor pitting
and discoloration, hardly what I would call "worn out".

Is it worth pulling out the inner bearing out of the hub for re-packing?
The outer bearings are a piece of cake. The idea here is to be able to
disassemble everything, give them a good cleaning and repack with fresh
grease.

Lastly, does anyone have a good line on cheap rebuilt front shocks??
I have a price of $85.00 plus core. They are professionally rebuilt.
Anyone have a cheaper source?

TIA

Keep em running!!

Kevin Richards