Re: Oil, Oil everywhere, and not a drop to...73 B

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Oil, Oil everywhere, and not a drop to...73 B
From: "Neil" <NeilMGB@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 00:51:49 -0700
answer to question 1...    I use either blue or gold RTV gasket stuff.   Do
not let it set...  because it wont seal correctly.  it would just make a
smooth surface against the head.  It's got to be not-dry so it can fill in
any little grooves and  stuff.
answer to question 2...  I dont understand the question.  You've just got to
play with it.  The gaskets with black specs of rubber ground up in it are
the cheapo gaskets...  they never fit right.  They do fine however,  if you
"glue" it to the valve cover where it's mostly laying flat,  then you put
RTV on the exposed side of the gasket,  lay it on the head,  and tighten it
all down.

they wouldnt make different sized gaskets for the same motor,  no matter
what year.

Your valve cover should have strips of metal forming a track around the
inside lip of it...  if it doesnt,  maybe you have an aftermarket valve
cover.  I dont know,  you didnt specify.

make sure you have no more than 3/4" of an inch of play in the alternator
belt.

Over-filling a tad wont do any harm,   it burns off soon enough

The lucas horns are cheap,  they corrode inside and the parts stick
together, not making a sound.   I've got a set of volvo horns which make a
horrid ugly sound,  which is somewhat fitting :)