[Fwd: lever shocks], GT's, Valve cover gaskets

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Fwd: lever shocks], GT's, Valve cover gaskets
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 22:30:24 -0400
--------------06708213267B5C34A72D2210

correspondence on this subject. I have not yet purchased my set of front
shocks, it will probably have to wait for Nov., as I have another MG
project ongoing that is taking longer than expected-  as if that never
happened before. I am going to give Peter a try for shocks, based upon
the only lucid explanation I have ever received on rebuilding shocks.

I am forwarding this without Peter's permission, but he promised me a
"tech" article months ago, & hasn't sent it yet, so....

To the new GT owner:

You have become a member of the MG elite, the owner of the best MG ever
built, a thing of beauty. The best looking British car ever built,
including the E types. You are a person of unquestioned good taste.
Forget those "flop top" cars, with all their leaks & groans. On the
other hand, I highly recommend installing a sliding fabric sunroof.

For years, I drove Midgets, & later, 4cyl B's, with never a valve cover
leak. 1st, straighten the valve cover. Over-tightening over the years
usually means a cover that is not flat. Hammer, block of hardwood, REAL
flat surface, etc. Only when the cover is flat, can you eliminate the
leaks. Attach the cork gasket with "gorrilla snot", 3M weatherstrip
adhesive for the unitiated. This is a contact cement & will prevent any
gasket movement, but it is not a "filler", so the cover must be flat.
This works very well with the aftermarket cast aluminum covers as well.
Oil the other gasket surface & the cylinder head lightly. Install the
valve cover just finger tight, & wait a few hours before snugging it
down. I have been able to reuse the same gasket for several years in
this fashion, as it does not stick to the head if oiled lightly when
replaced, & the "snot" holds forever. This was the method used by my old
friend on his E-Production racer that had valve adjustments before every
run. 1 gasket would last several seasons.

Sorry to lump a lot into 1 post, but I only receive the digest.

Jim Stuart
2 V8's, no dollars or sense

--------------06708213267B5C34A72D2210