Re: MGA engine, just curious

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGA engine, just curious
From: Dave Quirt <quirt@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 20:27:15 -0600
Barney:

I once had a '56 A coupe with original engine etc. That engine, from pan
to head, was painted in the normal MG maroon and the INSIDE of the oil
pan was unpainted. The BP15GB engine prefix indicates a MGA 1500 engine,
so the dark green and the dark blue colours on it are NOT original at
all.

Dave Q.

From: Barney Gaylord
<snip>
The engine is painted dark blue.  I have seen MGA starters and
generators
painted this color before, but I couldn't swear they were originally
from
an MGA.  I trust that this paint color came with the engine rebuild
(.040
pistons) and is not quite a match for the original color, because ....

The inside of the oil pan is painted a dark green, something like
British
Racing Green.  I have not before seen an MGA oil pan painted on the
inside,
although I have seen a variety of (non-MG) engine and gearbox castings
painted inside to surpress casting trash.  My guess here is that the
this
engine was originally this color of green, and that the fresh paint
outside
with the rebuild was intended to match the original color but was a
slight
miss.  The timing cover is not painted inside.  I do not have the valve
cover.  (Then again, maybe the oil pan is not original to this engine).
<snip>