Re: Alternator Troubles...wrestling with Lucas

To: Speedo79@aol.com
Subject: Re: Alternator Troubles...wrestling with Lucas
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 23:37:52 EDT
In a message dated 9/8/98 3:43:31 AM !!!First Boot!!!, Speedo79@aol.com
writes:

> my question, what should the alternator be putting out at idle, and at
speed,
>  when checked at the batterey terminals?
>  Thanks for your help,
>  Sincerely,
>  Steve Sanchez
>  "Wrestling with Lucas over a '77 'B"

Steve:

Put a voltmeter on the battery terminals. If the alternator is ok and the
battery isn't drained, you should see 13.5 to 14 Volts at all speeds. The job
of the alternator is to keep the battery at this voltage. I never understood
why ammeters are so popular in the car. I believe a voltmeter tells you much
more about the car's charging system.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336