Re: UNLEADED

To: Arts Council <artscape@clas.net>
Subject: Re: UNLEADED
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 16:57:30 -0700
Arts Council wrote:

> Dear Listers,
> I'm sure this has already been discussed at length, but I wasn't around
> then... so here is my question. How many listers have actually converted to
> an unleaded head? How many instead use lead additives? And how many just
> say the hell with it and drive with 93 octane unleaded (as I do)? When I
> bought my 71B, I asked the PO what he did and it was the 93 octane route,
> so I didn't change. Any opinions? Am I destroying my daily driver? Am I
> going to burn for sins against my LBC? Or does it really matter?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel North
> 71MGB, BRG

Converted my 1964 Magnette to unleaded exhaust valve seats ( 1622cc 'B'
series) in 1993-ish. Have done 33,000 miles with it. No problems other
than running on, cured by fitting an anti-run-on valve from a MG Metro.

Converted the 1952 MG YB, 1250cc XPAG engine in 1995. Done 5,000 miles
plus. Did not notice anything different in performance or mpg. It now
has the bigger TF valves fitted.

Converted the 1989 MG Metro, ( 1275cc 'A' series) this year. Power fell
away a little, engine runs hotter, but it is the MAIN USE car, and costs
of unleaded petrol gives quite good savings over leaded.

Costs... £185 for the Magnette, £345 for the YB, £ 130 for the Metro, (
the Metro was all done by me EXCEPT for the insert fitting, to keep
costs down.)

Neil.