Re: 62 MGA II wire wheel q's

To: "Carol" <car@intersatx.net>, "Clayton Kirkwood" <kirkwood@garlic.com>
Subject: Re: 62 MGA II wire wheel q's
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 09:24:45 -0400
On 9/11/98 9:31 PM so and so (Carol) said. (And I quote:)

>Clayton...
>
>A few more cents in the pot....
>

>Three year warranty... we got ours in early 1997. I don't know If I'd be
>brave enough to do my own sealing, though...  I imagine it's possible to
>do...
That's not the way I remeber it ;-)
SNIP
>>Balancing the mounted tire and wheel is another problem of its own.  Spin
>>balancing machines (most common these days) require a set of fixturing
>>cones to mate with the "strange" mounting surfaces on the wire wheel hub.
>
>...snip...
>
>>On the other hand, static balancing is not a bad solution.
>
>I had the tires balanced while they were bolted onto the car. Discount Tire
>put me on to SW Brake and Alignment, and they were super to deal with...
>didn't charge me a dime for balancing since they didn't need to apply any
>weights. I don't recall ever not having a weight put on any other wheel
>I've had. Maybe it's BWW's quality control over what they ship, and maybe
>it was the Monarch tires, or both!

I find it hard to beleive that a set of 4 (count em four) tires are so
good as to need no weights. My reaction would be to get a second opinion.
I think they blew it and/or did not want to try to put weights on a wheel
while the customer was watching. Statistically - it ain't gonna happen.

>Make a few phone calls. You'll find somebody. I've always preferred to have
>tires balanced on the axles of my vehicles.
My brother in law (RHS) worked for Goodyear and Michelin, his point was
always that the axle etc, or sprung weight, is balanced at the factory.
OTH the tires are not. Yea they do the best they can, but...>
>Hope this helps...
>
>Carol

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?