Re: MGF and roadster thoughts WAS Re: terrible joke -

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGF and roadster thoughts WAS Re: terrible joke -
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 19:51:43 -0400 (EDT)
erican market/mentality", they could,of course "un-fit" the Z3
>with vinyl/cloth interior, no A/C, wind up windows, etc....but that damned
>Z3 will still look like the teutonic thing that it is. America wants a
>BRITISH roadster dammit, and I think the Lotus lookalike proves it.
>Mazda had it right, but the cost has soared, and a lot of that cost has to
>do with importation.
>Flame away, since this was just a "fleeting" thought. If I'm wrong, well I
>can always fall back on the fact that I have absolutely NO emperical data or
>experience in the automotive industry to back me up. ;)
>
>Dan
>73 B

Does America really want a British roadster, or do they want a roadster
that is simple, well styled, fun to drive, and inexpensive? That is what
the Miata has (or had) in common with the British roadsters; the fact that
the body is suspiciously like that of a Lotus Elan shows a lack of
imagination, but how many Miata buyers know that? Don't get me wrong, we
need more like that around, but would a "badge-engineered" Triumph or MG
fit the bill?

One question; is the new Mini really coming to the US? If so, how about a
"midget" type car based on that platform? American automakers are convinced
that unless it has a V8, rear-drive is a loser. (I know, Nissan has shown
that to be incorrect, but that's also a small, performance oriented market,
and they're taking a beating on it right now). So a new "British" roadster
for the US would probably end up being like the new Lotus Elan; FWD,
japanese engined, too big, and too expensive.

This is not meant as a flame; your point is well taken. But it will never
feel the same, just as the Miata doesn't feel like an MGB. Buy an old one
and restore it...

Nevin