70 MGB GT - Speedo Cable

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 70 MGB GT - Speedo Cable
From: Gary Davis <GDAVIS@ibr6gw80.gp.usbr.gov>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 07:54:42 -0600
Good Morning All . . .  .

I managed to break my speedo cable last night and I have a couple of
questions for those "in the know."  I noticed in the catalogs that three
different cable lengths are offered - one for auto trans, one for OD, and
one for others.  Why the different lengths?  Other than the apparently
obvious length, is there a cable length that works best for a non OD, non
auto GT?

My cable is routed from the trasnmission area to the right side of the
engine (looking towards the front from the driver's seat), angles up and
sorta over the rear of the engine, enters the firewall near the master
cyclinders, and then snakes behind the dash until it makes about a 90
degree bend into the rear of the speedo.  Is that the traditional route for
the cable?  Is there a better route?

You guys/gals are the only reason I could ever manage to maintain this
car.  It sure is a lot of fun to drive, and I'm grateful for this resource.  I
would not have attempted to maintain my car without the existence of
this list.  Thanks for all of your help.

Gary Davis