Re: FWD vs RWD

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: Re: FWD vs RWD
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 01:25:38 -0400
Keith Wheeler wrote:
> Here's the why behind the "real race cars" thing.  Under acceleration
> there is weight transfer to the rear tyres.  That weight transfer means
> more grip.  "Floor it" in a FWD and the driven wheels get light and spin.
> Accelerate hard in a RWD car and you get more grip.  What's fun is to
> be loose in a corner (some oversteer) and be able to come out of it
> by accelerating.
>
> Of course front engine, front wheel drive, with understeer that makes
> the car gods ashamed...well, those things are built for people who can't
> drive.

  This always makes me think of watching those vintage LBC
racing films they sometimes show on Speedvision.

  The big jags and our MGs and the TRs are sweeping gloriously
around the corners in a controlled four wheel drift, deftly
using the throttle to woo the fans.

  Meanwhile the minis make the corner look hum drum as
they do it at 20% higher speed.

  I'm more concerned with what wins races than with what
looks impressive on film.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca