Re: FWD/RWD Balance

To: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Subject: Re: FWD/RWD Balance
From: Simon Matthews <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 14:10:48 -0700
Rick,

yes, but at the time the F1 and Indy cars were front-engine, RWD, were not
most cars? So the engineering problems with FWD had not been worked out.
Before the cars went FWD, a better solution came along: mid-engine, RWD.

ALso, I suspect that those early F1 and Indy cars had a much better weight
distribution than the average saloon or sports cars, so they would not heve
benefitted as much from FWD.

When we talk about the average saloon (sorry: sedan) or sports car, I
really doubt that the weight distribution is 50/50 - look at MGAs and Bs --
the engine is basically between the fron wheels -- there is nothing with
equivalent weight at the back of the car. But I have not looked up the
figures for this, so perhaps I am wrong.

I won't dispute that mid engine cars have a lower rotational moment of
inertia.  As to which was the reason and which was a side-effect of going
for mid-engine  design, this is a particularly pointless discussion -- both
(weight on rear tyres and moment of interia) were advantages gained, so
both were important. I doubt the engineering team who designed the first
mid-engine cars really worried about which was a side-effect.

>  As for more weight on the rear wheels, not neccessarily so. If two
>cars, one front engined, one mid engined, weigh the same, and have
>identical weight distributions, then  both have the same weight on the
>rear wheels.

True, but just how do you design 2  cars like this? The point is that mid
engine ALLOWS the designer to put more weight on the back wheels.

Simon
---
Simon Matthews                          MailTo:simon_matthews@avanticorp.com
'57 MGA