Re: Need help on tonneau installation

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Need help on tonneau installation
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:06:17 -0500
You didn't mention what year your car is, but I hope this helps. I tackled
this job last spring and have been using it regularly since. This is
assuming you have a Robbins from Moss (like me) and a similar car to my '73
B.

>Diagram shows 2 lift-the-dot fasteners in each front corner of the cover
and
>one in the middle of the dash.  I have the one in the middle, but
unfortunately
>the other 4 are in a bag in my parts box.  I have a snap base at the bottom
>each windshieldpost. (Also have a snap base at the top of each windshield
post).
Yep, that sounds correct -- just like Punkin.

>Questions are:
>1.  Where exactly are the lift-the-dot pegs located? on the dash and if so
>where exactly?, on the windshield posts?  Anyone able to install them on
the
>dash without removing the windshield?

You should have one LTD in the middle of the dash, to the right of the
center windshield rod. (attaches to the right flap of the tonneaux) There
should be a male snap on each windshield post to attach to the female snaps
on your tonneaux.

>2.  What are the snaps on the windshield post used for?  The lower ones
look
>like they could accomodate holding the tonneau down.

See above, the higher ones are for the top (I think, that's my next project)

>Anyone know of a web page with a picture (on a car) showing the location of
the
>tonneau attach points.

Hmmm.....no. Are you missing some male LTD studs? You should have LTD studs
along the back deck, (five of them, without going out and looking) and then
two male snap connectors just behind the rear edge of the doors. Female
snaps install forward of the zippers.

>3.  When the tonneau is folded behind the seat is it suppose to snap to the
>firewall behind the seats? and if so where is the snap on the tonneau
located?

Apparently there are supposed to be LTD studs pointing forward out of the
forward wall of the battery box wall for this purpose, but I don't have
them. I just roll and tuck the excess behind the seats when driving.

I'll send an article I wrote for my Club newsletter (and websites)
privately. If you don't have a revolving-wheel hole punch pliers to punch
the holes, I'd recommend it -- utility knife can be a BAD method. I bought a
Craftsman pair for $20, but I've seen them at flea markets for $10. Use some
chalk too to mark before cutting that expensive tonneux!

Dan
73 B