Re: Spark

To: RJohn50603@aol.com
Subject: Re: Spark
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 20:19:48 +0000
RJohn50603@aol.com wrote:

> Question,
>
> Just how long a spark are those of you with B's getting? I was checking it by
> holding the coil wire near a good ground and only got about an 1/8" - 3/16".
> Never had any ignition problems before I pulled the engine, but this seems a
> bit whimpy. I have a standard coil and a Mallory dual point distributor.
>
> I swapped a coil from my 1979 Midget with similar results. The points
> condenser are are new and properly set.

Try comparing the spark produced by flicking the points with that
produced by connecting and disconnecting the wire that runs between the
distributor and the coil.  The former should be considerably bigger
(certainly bigger than you are getting) and shows the effect of the
condenser.  If they are both the same then either the condenser is
faulty or not connected correctly - the terminal from the condenser and
the terminal from the coil should both be on top of the points and under
the insulating washer.

PaulH.