(a bit of a long answer)Re: what are the differences

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: (a bit of a long answer)Re: what are the differences
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 02:15:13 GMT
C G asked:

>I am a new mg owner and need to know the differences of mgs.  what are
>the diffetences between mga mgb midgets and k-3. I don't want to drive
>a long way to look at or but a parts car that is not compatable. what
>would be a good parts car for a 74 midget k3. I am proficiant on
>triumph gt6 but have alot to learn about mgs. in classifieds i see all
>types of mgs are they the same bodies just different opptions?  what
>years are the same as a 74 midget? any help will be greatly
>appreciated. thank you

Dear CG,

I sent you a brief reply privately, but I'm going to send something on the
list now and hopefully other listers will contribute, as I'm not an expert
either.  Midgets are done in Mk's, that is Mk.2, or 3, or so on. (Well,
actually not so on, because the Mk 3 was the last, but...) Is that what you
mean by k-3? Because your '74 Midget would definitely be a Mk.3, also
written Mk.III. However, they did change engines in '75, going to a Triumph
1500 engine. So the common engines for your car would be any Midget (Or
Austin Healey Sprite?) from '67 thru '74. Of course there will be some
differences in emissions equipment, but most of it should be the same.  I
would imagine that it's also possible to fit a lot of parts from the later
Midgets, but I'm not sure how many, the best place to ask would be on the
Spridget list; it's like this list but deals exclusively with Midgets and
Sprites. Stick with parts cars in the '67-'74 range and you should be a lot
happier.

Sorry, the MGA and MGB share very little in the way of parts with the
Midget and you should ignore them as potential parts cars. (If they were
very similar, a lot of people would have cannibalized Midgets to make A's
and B's by now, not the other way around: PLEASE NOTE: I am not deriding
Midgets; that is simply the reality of popular opinion).

I would recommend that you get a book on Midgets, and if you have any
specific technical questions, the Spridget list might be the best place to
ask.

I have a feeling nobody answered your post on the list because it was a
very basic question; perhaps it is true that when answers are easily found
elsewhere, one shouldn't ask the list, but I would like to say that I'm
rather disappointed that nobody answered your first post, especially after
all that talk about there being no such thing as a stupid question.

Good luck with the car.

Nevin