Re: Oil Cooler Location and Necessity

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <Vemarootoo@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Cooler Location and Necessity
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 15:28:51 -0500
Vic,
    This subject was discussed on the list a while back. Please don't
confuse me with the REAL "sages" on this list. There is probably a combined
experience of 500 years working on MGs here. I've only had my B for 8
months, 6000 miles and fixing what's necessary to put so many miles (and
FUN) on the car.
I forgot to say, along with ensuring good brakes, replace the points, plugs,
ignition wires, Dizzy cap, belts and hoses too. Your B will love you for it.
    The only thing I can find in Original MGB is reference to "new oil
cooler, pipes and hoses" in 74. Which tells me the cooler was moved in 74.
It "hangs" vertically underneath the horizontal panel you're talking about,
forward of the radiator. The move was made so that the oil cooler wouldn't
block air coming through the grill to the radiator, like it does on my 73
CBB, and it apparently works (front license plates are another matter). Hard
to say if NOT having an oil cooler would damage the engine, but it sure
wouldn't help!
    As with any car, if you remove/change a part designed by the engineers
into the system, you run the risk of upsetting said system. This doesn't
necessarily apply to the 70's era smog controls, since removal usually makes
for a more efficient system, as long as it's done right, and the parts are
kept for future use.
     I would recommend that you buy Original MGB (Clausager), MGB DIY
Purchase and Resto (Porter) -- these books are worth more than the price!
The more you dig around and fix on your car, the more you'll learn, and find
out how much money it's going to require! As long as your Temp and Oil
Pressure guages work, and you've got fresh fluids in there, you should drive
the snot out of the thing! Works for me anyway...
Cheers
Dan
73 B