Re: Midgets vs MGB's-Numbers built

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Midgets vs MGB's-Numbers built
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 19:02:08 EDT
Mark Snowden wrote:

>Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 00:46:42 -0700
>From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
>Subject: Midgets vs MGB's-Numbers built

>I haven't got enough road time in anything other the the Sprite to argue
>this one, but I do have a question, Which car was produced in larger
>numbers, the Midget/Sprite, or the MGB? I have been trying to find a MGB
>and just today found two more Midgets( a 72 and a 76). This brings the
>count to 7 Midgets verses 2 MGB's that I can lay my hands on that are
>for sale, in addition to the two I have in the shop, and the one out
>back.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mark,

According to John Heilig's book "Illustrated MG Buyer's Guide," there were:
386,789 MGBs and 125,323 MGB/GTs for a total of 512,112.
Of those, 397,395 were built for export, although he doesn't specify which
countries.

224,363 Midgets make up the count in this book.  I don't know how many
Sprites there were.

My quick evaluation is that perhaps the more substantial MGB is a
long term vehicle for most folks.  More may be spent in restoration, so the
owners want to hold on to them longer, hence fewer are available.

I would prefer to have a MkII MGB, but I found a 1977 Midget with BIG BLACK
BUMPERS for only $1600.00, so that's where I'm starting.  I couldn't get
close to that for a B in as good condition.

The opinions expressed above are my own, and please let me have them!

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport