Re: Starter Questions: Midget 1500

To: Michael Graziano <mgrazian@ltcm.com>
Subject: Re: Starter Questions: Midget 1500
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 07:49:23 -0400
Michael -

It's supposed to move that easily.  The pinion is actually pulled into
contact with the ring gear by the fact that the starter is rotating
rapidly, and held there as long as the starter is trying to turn faster
than the engine.  (That counterclockwise motion you were talking
about.)  Once the engine catches (and is now turning faster than the
starter), the pinion is thrown off the ring gear.  Rather clever,
actually.

There is a spring to help the pinion retract away from the flywheel.
When you release the pinion (after sliding it along) it should spring
back to its original position.

I'd take a look at the ring gear on the flywheel (bright light, mirror
and some contortions while the starter is out).  If the ring gear is
chewed up, replacing the starter is just going to result in another
chewed up pinion in the not too distant future.

Unfortunately, fixing the ring gear means pulling the engine, so you may
want to put up with replacing the pinions on starters for a while.  (The
pinion is available from the ususal suspects (Moss, VB) for under $20
each.  George Merriweather can probably get them for less for you.)

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net