Wanted single carb manifold

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Wanted single carb manifold
From: "Mike Hartwig" <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 19:23:34 -0500
Hi all, I'm looking for a single carb intake manifold.  I understand
that some MGs came with single carbs.  I need such a manifold, since
I'm still working on the fuel injection system.  I honestly think I
can bring transplantable fuel injection systems for around $500, so
keep your fingers crossed.
I need the manifold, since I will be using a throttle body injection
system.  The darned siamesed intake ports are the work of Satan
himself,  and I have absolutely no desires to buy one of them
expensive aluminum heads.  Therefore, siamesed intake ports would
incline me to use a throttle body type injection system.
My hopes are to implement the well-though, simple, reliable Bosch
L-Jetronic fuel injection system with a GM or Ford throttle body.

Enough of that; the '78 V8 that my brother and I are putting together
the Rover V8 and it will be in the car within a month.  We spent $1200
on machine work and head rebuilding alone, and we expect the 3.5 L
engine to put out well over 200 horsepower and absolutely ungodly
amounts of torque.  It will visit the rolling road to get some
concrete numbers.  The paint is finished, and I believe the Pageant
Blue paint is the most beautiful color ever.  We bought a digital
camera recently and will be posted tons of pictures on our web site.
If you just have to see the pathetic web site, goto
http://members.tripod.com/~mhartwig and ignore the banners.

The Porsche is coming along well, too, but it is currently taking a
backseat to the V8 project.  I had the great opportunity to drive a
friend's Porsche this past weekend.  The performance is incredible.
The 912E that I own has a 4 cylinder motor, so it isn't very powerful
(slightly more power than the MGB), but the brakes and handling put
the MG to shame.  All that for the measly $2500  I paid.  Sure, it
does need head work (very, very expensive), and paintjob (we can do it
in-house), but for under $4000, I will have one darn good car;
reliable, good looks, and something which I can take to the autocross
circuit.    For anyone who is fed up with occasional bad MG
replacement parts, poor electrical, and archaic engine design,
seriously consider a Porsche.  They are expensive, but if you are
smart, you can have one cheaply, like myself.

Please don't take my above comments about mgs above as an insult.  I
just feel the Porsche is at another level of quality, refinement.  At
the same time, I don't think anything can match the MG for sheer
driving fun.

Lastly, my points burning problem is still haunting me.  An otherwise
reliable car has been reduced to a shameful piece of crap.  I still
can't figure it out.  Points burn every 1500-5000 miles.  Replaced
condenser and points at least 7-10 times.  Ground strap good, new
distributor, Lucas sport coil (non-ballasted).  And still no luck.  A
mechanic told me to try a ballast resistor.  Still no  luck.  I am
almost tempted to get the Petronix, but I think this is putting a
band-aid on a bulletwound.  Please help!  No mechanic in Memphis or
Atlanta has been able to help, without suggesting rip out and replace.

Later
Jay