Question, and a bit of a test...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Question, and a bit of a test...
From: tip@ai.chem.ohiou.edu (Thomas I Perigrin)
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 15:05:12 -0500
Question:  While replacing the rear springs on Emma ('72 MGB) I had a
problem with the nut on one of the two damper connecting links...  The nut
didn't turn - instead, the bolt broke free in the spherical housing of the
link.  I couldn't get the bolt out...  So, I ended up removing the springs
without disconnecting the bottom bracket from the damper link.   This was
NOT fun, but it was do-able.  While I had the springs out I examined the
spherical housing and the bolt carefully.  As far as I could tell the bolt
was still captured, although it turned easily in the spherical housing.
Thus, I decided to ignore this little detail and replace the springs and
reconnect the plate/linkage.   This was even less fun, but it was do-able.

Should I buy a new $30 link arm?  The old one seems to function, but is it
just fooling me waiting for the least opportune time to fail?

If so, should I invest the time/money in a Monroe shock conversion instead
of putting money into the older dampers?   I saw a nice step by step guide
on Skye's page that seemed to indicate that it wasn't terribly hard or
expensive...  any opinions on how well this works?

----

By the way, I say this is a bit of a test...  I say that because I have
submitted at least 2 postings that I have never seen appear on the digest.
One of them was a lengthy posting introducing my car and myself...  After
it didn't appear I sent email to the list owner asking if the posting had
"gone astray", but didn't get an answer to that email either...   So, I am
curious to see if I can post.

---

A .sig is static        My life is dynamic.     I can't think of a single
quote or witty saying that expresses the mercurial nature of the changes in
my life.  The only constants in my life are stress,  my loving wife, and
the weekly hairball my cat leaves on the carpet.