Electrical question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Electrical question
From: JWidell625@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 17:14:16 EDT
Last week I inquired to the list about the Delco alternator conversion,
believing that my Lucas had expired.Thanks for the responses, especially to
Larry Hoy for his detailed instructions.

Today, I went to tinker with the 77B and I decided to check the voltage
output. Much to my surprise, the voltage was reading almost 15v when I revved
the engine, then tapered down to 14.5 volts after the battery charged up a
little. (battery was dead originally).  My new "Smiths" volt gauge, purchased
recently from XK, was reading almost 1.5 volts low, which was why I originally
thought the alternator was bad. I checked across the volt gauge terminals, and
found the voltage still reading 1.5 volts off, so the gauge is getting the
proper voltage.

I have two questions:

1. Is the voltage from the alternator too high?  15 volts seems excessive,
though it did taper down.

2. Is there a way to calibrate a volt gauge, especially a Smiths?

Thanks in advance.

Joel Widell
Key Largo, FL