Canada/USA Tour, visit and pic's

To: british.cars@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Canada/USA Tour, visit and pic's
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 06:36:51
Hello all,

My MGA and I just took a short trip from Naperville, Illinois, to New York
state for a visit with the CANADA/USA '98 rally group at Niagara Falls and
the surrounding area.  This little trip of mine was 590 miles east bound in
10 hours, 1405 miles total, not particularly excessive, as many of you on
the british-cars and mgs lists already know about a few of my travels.

While in New York state, I took pictures of all of the rally cars and some
other interesting "ancient" vehicles that were also there for a visit with
the group.  I have posted these pictures with a few comments on my web
site.  You can view these at this address:

   <http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/guest/caar-gb/caar.htm>

I have also placed a link to the CAAR-GB web site there.  These pictures
will remain on line at this site at least for the duration of the rally,
possibly a little longer.  (And yes, Ric and Nory, you're both there.)

On my outbound trip through Ontario from Windsor To Niagara Falls I ran
about 280 miles mostly on side roads, largely within 10 miles of the Lake
Erie shore line, and only about 20 miles on CAN-3.  I went through about 30
little towns along the way and still made that distance in 5 hours.  Nice
roads, all hard-top this time, mostly farming territory, very little
traffic, and no cops in the rural areas.  Woo-hoo!

On the return trip I ran the first 140 miles on back roads through western
New York state from Canandaigua to Jamestown.  Again mostly hard-top roads,
but this time winding through the hills amidst lots of greenery and
occasional small lakes.  I understand that some folks call these mountains,
but hey, if we makes it mostly in top cog they's jest hills.  Lots of neat
little towns along here too, but nothing to get stuck in for more than a
few minutes.  My total run on Friday was 790 miles, including 120 miles
eastbound in the morning with the tour group.  I had a nice lunch with the
group in New York and still managed to get home before midnight.

Hoot hoot,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude