Weekend of work...MGB wrap-up

To: "MG List" <Mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Weekend of work...MGB wrap-up
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 20:16:57 -0400
Hello all,
    As you might have guessed, I went home this weekend to escape college
drudgery and prepare my MGB for the journey of a lifetime...Yes, it's coming
to college with me in a week and a half!  Let me give you guys a run-down of
what was done...I have some wheel bearing questions that should be addressed
first...
    We replaced the front wheel bearings in about an hour, start to finish.
The first bearing that came off fell into a million pieces - I guess that
means it was shot!  One thing I noticed, on only one side of the car, there
was a large thick washer with a 'tongue' that fit into the slot on the axle
shaft.  Should I get another one for the other side of the car, or is that
moot?  Either way, both wheels had the outer bearing fitted, then a shim,
then the castellated nut.  will this cause serious damage without the washer
I'm referring to?
    Did a dry compression test on the engine.  Actually, it was an
afterthought, and we didn't open the throttle on the carbs either...but we
got 100 psi across all four cylinders.  I'm guessing that's pretty good for
a car with 71k on the clock.  (It's a low compression engine, BTW)
    Replaced all the fluids - thanks to those who gave the good
recommendations.  As a rule, it seems that the transmission dipstick is a
bugger to get out.  If you lie under the car and slide a flat screwdriver
through the ring, then pry up, you'll have good luck in removing that
bugger.  My tranny was about half full before I drained and refilled
it...Now that annoying whine is gone.
    Decided that I can't get the car to heat up!  I drove it around the
chilly PA Saturday night with the choke on, and couldn't get the car any
warmer than half way to 'N', even after idling in the driveway for 15
minutes.  I went ahead and retarded the timing a bit (which removed my
backfire) and fiddled with the idle/mixture a bit.  It seems to run much
happier in the colder climate now...Of course, this might have been
unnecessary, as the car will be in NC shortly, but...
    Sometime this week, my parents are taking the car to get inspected for
the FIRST TIME SINCE 1984!!!  For this feat, I had to add a radio
(prerequisite for the family to drive) and door mirrors.  It should be OK,
other than that...I hope!
    I've got to say a big thanks to everyone who helped me get this car to
where it is right now...Without this list, I wouldn't have been half as
successful with this car as I was.  I'll be sure to let everyone know how
the car does with the parents (who are in for a crash course in non-luxury
cars.  The MGB is a far cry from a warm Blazer!)  And, I'll definitely let
everyone know how the 525 mile trip from PA to NC goes!  Thanks again!

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/