SU fuel pump rebuild

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SU fuel pump rebuild
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 17:23:47 -0600
My fuel pump paranoia is running rampant. Last week, my car (71BGT) started
sputtering and died several times. I thought initially that it was the fuel
pump but once I got home, I quickly found that the bracket that holds the
needle in place (on the HS4 carb)had come loose and would not let the
piston all the way down. On both carbs no less! And I hadn't removed the
needles or the brackets for about five years.

A quick fix though.

Now back to my fuel pump. Its been very reliable. I've owned the car for 15
years and never had any problem with it. That is why I'm paranoid now. So I
thought I would get the parts and rebuild the pump.

And that is where the latest problem - the Moss catalogue references two
diaphragms - one with a shaft of 3", the other with a shaft of 2 3/8".

I know several of you have rebuilt their pumps. Which one is the likely
correct one - assuming stock 71 SU fuel pump? And what other parts do I
need besides the diaphragm and points?

David
71 BGT