Re: True or False - MGB daily driver

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: True or False - MGB daily driver
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 06:33:23 EDT
On Mon, 5 Oct 1998 13:10:55 -0400 "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
writes:
>Hello all,
>    I thought I'd throw my .02 in here about the MGB as a daily
>driver.
>I've had my '74 for almost two years now, and I've been working on all
>of
>the major problem areas, such as hydraulics, suspension, wiring,
>carbs, etc.
>I have been working towards one goal: driving this car 500+ miles from
>PA to
>NC for the spring term of my senior year, which is this spring.  Due
>to some
>circumstances, I'll be getting the car on the road earlier, like next
>week!
>People ask me, "Mike, aren't you afraid of driving this car that far?"
> My
>answer is a resounding NO!  There's something about knowing exactly
>what has
>been done to a car that makes me feel secure when driving it.  Of
>course,
>problems can come from anywhere, but I think if you spend enough time
>and
>money on a careful "refreshing" of an MGB in good condition, it can be
>good daily driver.  Not only that, you can go to school in style,
>something
>not many people do nowadays.
>
>Michael S. Lishego
>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/

Whilst i cant say i have NEVER had a problem whilst on a long trip, i
have found that once the car has been "refreshed" and if you take care in
the preventative maintenance mentioned earlier today theres really not
much to worry about.
My GT has covered about 7000 miles so far this year and apart from oil
changes and a set of brake pads has needed nothing. -The U joints are
clunking a little so they are getting done now and i'll do a full
plugs/points/rotor/leads change in the next month or so. - I run the GT
year round - admittedly not as much in the winter (just dont like that
salt!) and never feel like i have to be unduly concerned....
Off to NC with you Mike! - take your NAMGBR membership list, a AAA or
similar card and a rolll of quarters for the tolls - my bet is that the
NC ladies will be swooning all over it before haloween!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
53 Riley

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]