RE> Colt Shock Conversion

To: MG Listserver <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE> Colt Shock Conversion
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 08:36:32 -0700
After picking up a good used set of Moss / Monroe rear shocks and related
hardware for my '64 B, I saw the Web site for the Colt rear shock
conversion.  I had a Moss kit on a '67 GT-both front and rear, and found it
stiff but acceptable (-don't know if the extra weight of the GT  made it
any better than it would be on a lighter car.)  Since the rear Monroe
shocks are stiff and do not have the perfect length of stroke for the
suspension travel of the car--the shock runs out of travel before the axle
hits the rebound strap--I was thinking of trying the Colt units, too.
Since I already have the Moss upper plate/bracket, I might as well keep it.

Lawrie Alexander mentioned the high cost of Monroes.  I went to Sears and
priced the Gabriel units for this application.  I got prices of either $14
US or $17 US each, depending on whether you want the coupe or station wagon
shocks.  Sears has frequent sales, so better pricing is possible.  I
believe these are pretty close in quality to the Monroe units, at half the
price.

Dave mentions that Colt shocks should be appropriate, based on the shock
length/travel and comparable weights of the two vehicles.  I believe the
Colt is a front wheel drive vehicle, and the shocks control a rear
beam-type axle; so the only caveat I might add is that on a Colt the shocks
undoubtedly have less unsprung weight, not having to control a differential
/ drive axle.

Chris Attias
'64 B  (almost all back together)