Re: Smoke

To: Fred Cheney <FCheney@kinneyassoc.com>
Subject: Re: Smoke
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 20:02:04 +0000
Fred Cheney wrote:

> I am the proud owner of a somewhat sorry looking (but running) 1972 MGB.
> My problem (at least one of them) is this:  When I pull the choke out it
> does so with great difficulty, as the car idles the choke releases
> itself as if it were spring loaded.  After the car has run for about
> five minutes a great deal of grey smoke comes from the exhaust.
> Also,the exhaust smells so bad of gas that after driving the car you
> must literally take a shower and change clothes.  The idle is at about
> 1500 rpm, hot or cold.  I have my ideas about the cause of this but I am
> looking for your input.  Anyone care to venture a guess?
>
> Fred Cheney
> fcheney@kinneyassoc.com

The positioning of the cable sheath spindle clamp is quite critical and
can make the choke operation very stiff.  The locking 'mechanism' on the
choke knob is quite crude and does wear, requiring a new inner, at
least.  I always start both my Bs with maximum choke then ease it back
in part way (about 3/4 the way back on the 73 roadster) immediately,
than gradually the rest of the way in as it warms up.  If you leave it
all the way out you will have neat petrol washing the oil off the bores
and causing accelerated wear, as well as excessive consumption.

PaulH.