70 MGB GT - Was: Fuel Pump Now: On the road again

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 70 MGB GT - Was: Fuel Pump Now: On the road again
From: Gary Davis <GDAVIS@ibr6gw80.gp.usbr.gov>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 07:44:15 -0600
Just wanted to follow-up on my non-starting issue.  It turned out that the
fuel pump and attendant lines were fine.  The problem turned up in the
distributor.  Someone previous to me had replaced one of the wires that
connects to the points (not to the condenser - the other one) with naked
copper wiring covered with electrician's tape.  I guess it finally gave out
because it had broken.  Replaced the wire and it fired right up.

Also replaced the points while I had it apart.  The points which came out
were Lucas points.  Are they still common or were they just very old?

Thanks for all of the advice getting me back on the road.  Since I drive it
to work, not being able to drive it for a couple of days was starting to get
to me.  Especially during these beautiful fall days were having in
Montana.  Perfect GT driving weather.

Thanks again - Gary