Re: Speed, RPM, fun facts

To: "Skye Poier" <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>, "MG Nuts" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Speed, RPM, fun facts
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 04:03:55 -0500
Skye,
    Your method is sound, with one caveat.  When checking your RPM vs MPH
make sure your in 4th, with no O/D, or recompute your table taking in to
account a final drive ratio of either 3.135 or 3.205 depending on which
overdrive you have.
    I think your 1060 is the turns per mile for the speedo.  Somewhere
around the early '70's I believe, someone out there will pipe in with the
correct time I'm sure, the speedo drive ratio from the O/D transmissions
changed.  I believe the later one used around 1000 turns/mile and the
earlier ones still used the 1280.  However it was (books not available at
the moment) from the numbers you measured for your speedo vs mile markers
test would indicate a mismatch between the speedo ratio and the O/D speedo
drive ratio.
   As for the tachometer, I'd verify it against a tach/dwell meter if you
have access to one.  Don't forget that most of them require doubling the
tach/dwell reading (8 cylinder scale) for a four cylinder ( at least the
inexpensive one's that I can afford do....).
Harlan.