Re: Bushings

To: Lawrie Alexander <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Subject: Re: Bushings
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 18:31:55 +0000
Lawrie Alexander wrote:

> Tom........
>
> Moss has them. However, I put them on my 68 BGT when I first restored the
> car. Even with new springs and shocks I had a very choppy ride. I changed
> the springs to a different type (mild improvement), then put Koni shocks
> instead of the levers (another marginal improvement in the ride). However,
> it was still very choppy. Then I removed the polyurethane rear spring
> shackle bushings and the ride improved enormously.

Hey, that's *exactly* what I have found.  Put RB roadster springs on the
(CB) roadster to stop the tyres fouling the arches on cornering
following a conversion from Rostyles to wires.  Worked just fine, much
less dive and roll, no deterioration in the ride.  The only negative was
an increased tendency for the rear to break away in the wet.  Then Put
poly bushes on the rear because "it seemed a good idea at the time",
result - a vile choppy ride over some surfaces, and rear-end breakaway
is worse.

I am planning to swap the axle for a WW one over the winter so will
revert to the CB rear springs (they were nearly new).  I may try the
poly bushes on that setup, but to be honest, why bother?

PaulH.